Here are some food related tips.
Gut Flora / Bacteria
- 7 things you had no idea gut bacteria could do (Mark's Daily Apple)
- 16 Things That Affect Your Gut Bacteria (Mark's Daily Apple)
- Gut feeling: How intestinal bacteria may influence our moods (CBC)
There are many diets out there. Here are some that have received recommendations:
- Eat Clean by Tosca Reno
- FODMAPs (Mark's Daily Apple) - Fermentable Oligosaccharides Disaccharides Monosaccharides And Polyols
- Paleo Diet by Loren Cordain
- Vega diet by Brendan Brazier
- Whole 9/30
- Check out our page on Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD) and Gut And Psychology Syndrome (GAPS)
- Here's a great overview of why going gluten-free isn't likely enough - SCD Lifestyle: The toxic truth about gluten-free food and celiac disease
- Irritants - Lactose, Nuts, Beans, Stress & more
- Ottawa Food Resources
- Supplements - Probiotics, Vitamins & Minerals.
- Testing - Food Sensitivities, Vitamin Deficiencies, etc.
- Top 50 Top 50 Essential Paleo Pantry Foods (Mark's Daily Apple)
General Food Info
- Canadian Organic Growers
- Rare Breeds Canada
- MyFitnessPal.com - An excellent website / mobile app for tracking your calories, fat, protein, vitamins & more.
- The USDA has an excellent Food Composition website. You can search by food and preparation method to determine a comprehensive breakdown of calories, vitamins & nutrients.
- They also make database formats available for your personal use: http://www.ars.usda.gov/Services/docs.htm?docid=22771
- New research is showing that changing gut bacteria through diet affects brain function
- 7 Things You Had No Idea Gut Bacteria Could Do (Mark's Daily Apple)
- "gut flora produce a ton of neurotransmitters, about 95% of our serotonin and half of our dopamine."
Eating out at a restaurant can be a challenge when on a specific diet. Here are some handy links.
- Bananas - 30 Ways Bananas Benefit Our Health – Even The Peels! (DIYNatural)
- Bitter Melon - Super foods (Mark's Daily Apple)
- Blackstrap Molasses - 10 Primal Foods You Aren’t Eating Enough Of (Mark's Daily Apple)
- Blueberries - 10 Primal Foods You Aren’t Eating Enough Of (Mark's Daily Apple)
- Brazil Nuts - 10 Primal Foods You Aren’t Eating Enough Of (Mark's Daily Apple)
- Chicken Liver - 10 Primal Foods You Aren’t Eating Enough Of (Mark's Daily Apple)
- Chocolate - Dark Chocolate is a super food (Mark's Daily Apple)
- Dandelions - 16 Benefits You Didn’t Know About Using Dandelions (DIYNatural)
- Eggs - A Quick Guide to Perfect Eggs: 22 Tips for Buying, Storing and Cooking a Primal Favorite (Mark's Daily Apple)
- Honey - 3 Common Misunderstandings Regarding Raw Honey (DIY Natural)
- Kale - Is Spinach good for you (DIYNatural) - "Steaming or cooking deactivates the oxalic acid content that they have, making them more nutritious. Oxalic acid binds with the calcium in our food making it unavailable for digestion."
- Milk, Raw - Raw Milk (Mark's Daily Apple)
- Mushroom - Lion's Mane - Super foods (Mark's Daily Apple)
- Mussels - 10 Primal Foods You Aren’t Eating Enough Of (Mark's Daily Apple)
- Olive Oil, Extra Virgin - 10 Primal Foods You Aren’t Eating Enough Of (Mark's Daily Apple)
- Olive Oil - How to find REAL olive oil. Consumer Reports tested extra virgin olive oils to see if they were cut with another cheaper oil:
- Failed: Pompeian, Filippo Berio, Bertolli, Star, Colavita, Newman’s Own Organic and Rachael Ray.
- Passed: California Olive Ranch, Cobram Estate, Kirkland Organic, Corto Olive, McEvoy Ranch Organic and Lucero
- Olive Oil - Olive Oil Fraud “Widespread” Warns New Yorker Magazine (Celiac Brain)
- Oysters - 10 Primal Foods You Aren’t Eating Enough Of (Mark's Daily Apple)
- Piima Yogurt Starter - Buy from ovio organico. Instructions
- Salt - Salt: What is it good for? By Mark's Daily Apple
- Spinach - Is Spinach good for you (DIYNatural) - "Steaming or cooking deactivates the oxalic acid content that they have, making them more nutritious. Oxalic acid binds with the calcium in our food making it unavailable for digestion."
Fasting vs Snacking
- Small Oily Fish - [www.marksdailyapple.com/10-primal-foods-you-arent-eating-enough-of/ 10 Primal Foods You Aren’t Eating Enough Of] (Mark's Daily Apple)
- Consumer Guide to Mercury in Fish (Natural Resources Defense Council]
- HIGHEST MERCURY (Avoid eating): Mackerel (King), Marlin, Orange Roughy, Shark, Swordfish, Tilefish, Tuna (Bigeye, Ahi)
- HIGH MERCURY ( 3 servings or less per month): Bluefish, Grouper, Mackerel (Spanish, Gulf), Sea Bass (Chilean), Tuna (Canned Albacore), Tuna (Yellowfin).
- MODERATE MERCURY (Eat six servings or less per month): Bass (Striped, Black), Carp, Cod (Alaskan), Croaker (White Pacific), Halibut (Atlantic/Pacific), Jacksmelt, Lobster, Mahi Mahi, Monkfish, Perch (Freshwater), Sablefish, Skate, Snapper, Tuna (Canned chunk light), Tuna (Skipjack), Weakfish (Sea Trout)
- LEAST MERCURY: Anchovies, Butterfish, Catfish, Clam, Crab (Domestic), Crawfish/Crayfish, Croaker (Atlantic), Flounder, Haddock (Atlantic), Hake, Herring, Mackerel (N. Atlantic, Chub), Mullet, Oyster, Perch (Ocean), Plaice, Pollock, Salmon (Canned/Fresh)**, Sardine, Scallop, Shad (American), Shrimp, Sole (Pacific), Squid (Calamari), Tilapia, Trout (Freshwater), Whitefish, Whiting
Foods to avoid
Fox News "researched" and reported the "7 Foods You Should Never Eat":
- The Endocrinologist Won't Eat: Canned Tomatoes.
- The Farmer Won't Eat: Corn-Fed Beef
- The Toxicologist Won't Eat: Microwave Popcorn. A great alternative is putting organic popping corn in a brown paper bag and putting it in the microwave.
- The Farm Director Won't Eat: Nonorganic Potatoes.
- The Fisheries Expert Won't Eat: Farmed Salmon.
- The Cancer Researcher Won't Drink: Milk Produced With Artificial Hormones.
- The Organic-Foods Expert Won't Eat: Conventional Apples.
Fruits & vegetables
Dirtiest (Buy organic)
In 2011, Chatelaine revealed the "dirty dozen" fruits & vegetables that contain the most pesticides and harmful chemicals. These should be bought in the organic section to avoid all the side-effects the bad chemicals can pass on to eaters. Ranked from most toxic to least, the dirty dozen are:
- Bell pepper
Cleanest (buy non-organic)
It's generally recommended to buy organic as much as possible, but we all feel the pinch of the current economy. These fruits & vegetables are the cleanest in the produce aisle:
- Sweet corn
- Sweet peas
- Sweet potato
- Does Gluten Have Any Effect on Non-Celiacs? - Great article from Mark's Daily Apple
- Is Gluten the problem or Wheat (FODMAP issue)
- Is Gluten the cause of Fibromyalgia, Autism, Type 1 Diabetes, Schizophrenia, Depression, Ataxia?
- The "Dangers" of going gluten free - analyzed by Mark's Daily Apple
- 6 Tea Ingredients That Can Help You Unwind, Relax and Chill Out (Mark's Daily Apple) - Kava Kava, L-Theanine (Green Tea), Chamomile, Valerian Root, Rhodiola Rosea & Magnolia Bark.
- How to help an upset stomach (DIY Natural) - Ginger, Peppermint, Lemon Balm, Bitters, Papaya & more.
- Basil - How To Use Fresh Basil in Four Surprising Ways (DIY Natural)
- Catnip - My Three Favorite Ways to Use Catnip on Humans (DIY Natural)
- Chamomile - The Many Benefits and Uses For Chamomile (DIY Natural)
- Cinnamon - The Amazing Health Benefits of Cinnamon (DIY Natural)
- Ginger - 25 Amazing uses for Ginger (well.ca)
- Echinacea - Benefits of Echinacea and 12 Ways To Use It (DIY Natural)
- Lavender - 25 Ways To Use Lavender Oil and Dry Lavender (DIY Natural)
- Lemon Balm - 19 Lemon Balm Uses for Health Beauty and More (DIY Natural)
- Red Meat is a super food (Mark's Daily Apple)
- Cooking - Gently cooked meat is better for you (Mark's Daily Apple). Recommends: Baking, Boiling, Braising, Crockpottin, Poaching, Pressure cooking, Simmering, Steaming
- Grass-Fed - Chris Kesser's Why Grass-fed trumps grain-fed
- Pork - Unprocessed Pork should always be marinaded: How Does Pork prepared in various ways affect the blood by Weston A Price
- Marinading in apple cider vinegar for 24 hours makes a difference.
- Protein - 12 signs you need to eat more protein (Mark's Daily Apple)
- The definitive guide to seeds (Mark's Daily Apple)